Technical preview notice¶
In the first iteration we are focusing on the publish dialog. In Maya and Nuke you will find a new dropdown menu next to ftrack called ftrack new. From here you can launch publish actions registered by asset plugins.
The publish process can be built on top of pyblish, but this is not immediately obvious to the end-user since the pyblish user interface is not used. Instead a publish dialog is developed separately by ftrack an can be used together with pyblish, or standalone. All publish actions that are bundled with Maya are however based on pyblish.
Limitations and the bright future¶
At the moment there are several limitations of the publish dialog and it should be seen as a preview of what is coming. Neither design, nor features represents what will be in the final version.
This is a list of notes and limitations for the current iteration of the tools that is likely to be solved before the final release:
- Maya and Nuke can only publish a limited set of assets, see Nuke usage and Maya usage.
- The alembic and maya binary format cannot be disabled and both are always published.
- The asset type will be selected based on what you want to publish, but you are not restricted to this type. It does however affect the ability to import using the current version of the import dialog. To publish a Camera and allow import choose Camera asset type when publsihing, for Geometry choose Geometry and so on.
- Publishing happens through the ftrack-python-api so no location plugins for the legacy api will be picked up. This also affects how things can be imported from the import dialog since it is still using the legacy api. Longterm we will refactor the import dialog to use the ftrack-python-api while providing a compatibility layer. For now publish/import workflow requires the Centralised storage scenario or another location that is available in both api clients.
Below is a list of limitations in regards to the Developer / TD aspect of the tools that is likely to be solved before the final release:
- There are limited support for modifying a bundled publish action.
Please add relevant feedback to the beta forum, http://forum.ftrack.com/index.php?/forum/36-new-integrations, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.